Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Historic Afghan

I vaguely remember as a little girl learning to embroider with my mom and maternal grandma.  I remember watching my mom crochet things, and I still have an afghan that my paternal grandmother made for me from the purple yarn I picked out.  I come from a long line of women who were clever with their hands, whether in cooking, sewing, working with yarn, or other talents.  

I remember a time, not quite as long ago, when my grandma was no longer able to handle a crochet hook well enough.  She gave me most of her yarn.  I remember looking through what she had given and discovering a project that had already been started.  There was the pattern, a couple rows already completed, and four colors of yarn, several skeins of each, just waiting to be made into a finished project.  

So I finished it.  
 And then I gave it back to my grandmother.
I won't claim that it's become a treasured family heirloom or anything of the sort, but I did have fun making it, and she does still have it.  These pictures are from the last time I visited her.

No comments: